Isle of Wight Mencap’s mission is:
To initiate, develop, provide and support activities and services which improve the quality of life for people with a learning disability and their families/support workers.
The mission shows a commitment to people on the Isle of Wight, with a learning disability and their families/support workers by:
- Building up confidence and skills.
- Working towards ensuring full and meaningful lives.
- Identifying and working against all forms of inequality which disadvantages.
Isle of Wight Mencap works with all who want to improve the quality of life for people with a learning disability. It seeks to work in partnership and co-operate with all statutory and voluntary agencies that share its aims.
To achieve this mission, Isle of Wight Mencap is working to:
- Promote peoples’ rights to achieve full Citizenship.
- Provide activities within the local community.
- Enable people to develop their full potential through education and training opportunities.
- Provide support to its members.
- Provide opportunities for volunteers to develop skills of value to the community.
Aims & Objectives
Our society has adopted the following long term aims and objectives for the benefit of people with a learning disability and their families/support workers:
To be at the forefront in promoting and developing opportunities.
To promote choice and independence.
To provide support, advice and guidance to its members.
To work in partnership with other agencies with similar aims to maximise service potential.
Develop a long term funding strategy
Develop and set up additional services and facilities
Raise the profile of Isle of Wight Mencap.
Ensure that services are maintained and where appropriate extended.